Five of the Best editor Wendy Hargreaves dishes up the scoop on her favourite ice cream and gelato joints in Melbourne.
You can also hear Wendy’s “Go To Girl” segment about ice cream on 3AW here.
- Shop 5, F Shed, Queen Victoria Market, Queen St, Melbourne, 0405 719 533
- Fourth generation gelato maker Sam Navagero buys the fruit, nuts and dairy from neighbouring traders at the Queen Vic Market to create his super-fresh range of gelato, so it’s only natural that the flavours change with the weather. With mango season in full bloom, Sam’s mango sorbet is bang on. Cherries are also getting bigger and sweeter, so there’s a smooth and creamy cherry gelato in the small but delicious range. And don’t leave without trying lemon cheesecake, hazelnut and blood orange. You’ll find them open on market days, and at the popular Queen Vic Night Market, Wednesday nights from 5-10pm until March 20, 2019.
- 71 Melville Rd, Pascoe Vale South, 03 9383 4258
- If there was gelato royalty in Melbourne, Emma Nicholas-Jennings would definitely be in line for the throne. She started out scooping gelato at Carlton’s sweet emporium Brunetti before getting a bicep workout at her parents’ popular Sorrento gelateria Glace. She also worked in hospitality in London, where she met her husband Gary, and now they work together creating some of Melbourne’s finest gelato at Miinot. Locals love their gelataria, bringing in seasonal fruit like figs and lemons to see their haul turned into a creamy fruit-rich dessert.
- 83 Victoria Ave, Albert Park, (03) 9686 3838
- One word. Pavlova. That’s all you need to know. It’s the perfect Aussie ice cream, and keeps me coming back year after year. Jock’s Hokey Pokey and XXX chocolate are also winners. And like all the best ice cream shops, everything has been made from scratch since the landmark shop opened in 2001.
- 261 Hawthorn Rd, Caulfield North, (03) 9994 8984
- Every month, this gorgeous ice cream shop invites a “Substitute Teacher” to make a limited edition flavour. This month’s special guest is the award-winning chef Matt Wilkinson, who came up with the “Matilda” – a strawberry cheesecake pie ice cream rolled in cheesecake biscuit crumbs. Get in quick before the next substitute teacher rolls along.
- 299 Lygon St, Carlton; 85 Chapel St, Windsor; and 8 Degraves St, city,
- Lisa Valmorbida sent gelato-loving Melburnians into a queuing frenzy when she opened Pidapipo as a pop up in Lygon St a few years back. Now she juggles three permanent gelato shops, and her rusted-on fans are still queuing. They know every flavour’s a winner, made from scratch on site with fresh ingredients in small batches. It’s that simple.
157 Spring Street, Melbourne
237 Smith Street, Fitzroy, 1800 435 286
Gelobar, 74 Lygon Street, Brunswick East, 9388 1419
Casa del Gelato
Casa Del Gelato, 163 Lygon Street, Carlton, 03 9347 7500