Melbourne’s outer southern bayside suburbs might not be your first destination for great food and drink.
But local winemaker Rory Lane has found plenty of hidden gems.
Rory’s acclaimed vino, The Story, is made in Bangholme, a suburb tucked next to Chelsea Heights in the outer reaches of the City of Greater Dandenong. Sourcing grapes from the Grampians and Henty, Rory creates some truly exciting wines, finishing in the top 50 of 2017’s Young Guns of Wine.
And the next time you head in Melbourne’s outer south, Here are Rory’s five favourite places to eat and drink.
- 170 Riverend Rd, Bangholme, 9773 4880
- Craft and Co is a little food oasis in the green wedge zone around Bangholme, where it’s mostly small farmlets and light industry. Craft and Co Makes its own wine (disclaimer – I am their winemaker), its own beer (brewed at its sister venue in Collingwood), its own gin and grappa, roasts its own coffee and makes cheeses and cured meats. There’s live music on weekends at the farm and plenty of room for the kids to run around. Good, unpretentious fun.
- 105-107 White St, Mordialloc, 9021 8980
- Hendriks is my coffee stop on the way to the winery. It’s a great quality café in an old warehouse on busy White St, the cut through road from the Nepean Hwy to Boundary Rd and Wells Rd. Hendriks serves excellent quality coffee and has a nice airy space to sit and have breakfast.
- 524 Nepean Hwy, Bonbeach, 9776 0855
- The Little French Deli is a small bistro that does fresh baguettes with delicious fillings to take away, plus quiches and pastries. It’s super French, modest and very good quality.
- 46-58 Buckingham St, Springvale, 9574 0955
- Amazing and exotic produce and a varied hub of Vietnamese eateries. I love getting my banh mi fix there. A bit of a drive but worth it. Excellent seafood markets too.
- 34 & 51 Macbeth Drive, Braeside, 0425 552 995
- This industrial warehouse converted into a brewery in the back-blocks of Braeside opens its doors on Friday afternoons to a collection of local hipster tradies. There are beards everywhere, but the beers are very good and there are plenty on tap.