By WENDY HARGREAVES
Melburnians don’t have to travel far for a taste of Italy, but some pasta dishes deserve special attention. Here are five of the best in Melbourne.
And for a celebration of all things Italiano, head to the Preston Market on Sunday, October 13 for all things Italian, from arancini balls to cannoli, including fettuccine classes for the kids.
- 651 Rathdowne St, Carlton North
- maretti cookie crumbs on top. Make sure you go with an appetite. These are nonna serves.
- 320 Lygon St, Carlton
- An oldie but a goodie, Donnini’s never fails to impress with it’s house-made pasta and super-fresh ingredients, but it’s the traditional crack-the-egg-at-the-table carbonara tagliatelle with house-cured pancetta ($28.90) that will change your view of carbonara forever.
- 113 Collins St, Melbourne (enter on George Pde)
- Sating Melbourne’s appetite for fresh pasta since the last century, Il Solito Posto never fails to impress with snappy fresh pasta and fresh flavours like the Tagliatelle al Natano ($23/$34) with capsicum, tomato, olives, basil and salted ricotta.
- 361 Little Bourke St, Melbourne
- Sit at the bar for dinner and a show in the form of excellent service that transforms this little pasta bar into one of Melbourne’s best restaurants. Don’t leave without trying the squid-ink tagliolini ($28) with calamari and bottarga (cured fish roe). Make sure you leave room for the “Tipomisu”.
- 2/377 Little Collins St, Melbourne