CHEF Paul Wilson has finally built his own dream restaurant at the Prahran Market.
Wilson and Market is almost impossible to define, much like Wilson’s long and varied career (Radii, Botanical, Icebergs and many in between). It’s a modern brasserie, but also a bar, wine store and all-day cafe. There’s an old-school seafood bar and heaving rotisserie, plus a hole-in-the-wall tuckshop luring hungry shoppers from the adjoining market.
The one constant is the focus on local produce, all sourced from the Prahran Market. Here are Wilson’s five favourite places to shop at the market…
- Stall 11/12, Prahran Market, (03) 9827 1611
- Pino’s has been a wholesaler for more than 25 years, with an unrivalled network of farms working to bring unique, locally grown seasonal produce to the market. Try the purple Brussels sprouts, packed with antioxidants, or ask for the Glenora Heritage Produce list, so you can access the heriloom and heritage veggies the top chefs buy.
- Stall 116, Prahran Market, 0411 438 465
- Head to Damien’s for truffles, with fine examples from West Australia and NSW on offer. As well as truffled products like butter and eggs, you will always find a nice array of mushrooms which are, like Damian, perfect with truffles, so spoil yourself with a winter pasta.
- 32 Elizabeth St, South Yarra, (03) 9827 9047
- Winter is a great time for a good read and home cooking with friends. The Essential Ingredient has so much good stuff, it’s hard to name one item, but I can’t resist the huge array of international authors in the cookbook section.
- Shop 510, Prahran Market, (03) 9826 8381
- Winter is the best time of year for shellfish and oysters. The team at Claringbolds is dedicated to supplying seafood in peak condition. They buy direct from oyster farms and fishermen, so you always receive the freshest seafood. Look out for plump Coffin Bay oysters and wild prawns from Clarence River (NSW) and South Australia.
- Stall 706, Prahran Market, 03 9827 0856
- All the wonderful Spanish and Latin foods made famous northside by Casa Iberica Deli are now available southside with a new outpost at the Prahran Market. You’ll find the best chorizo and morcilla, plus many Spanish small goods and cheeses. Knock up a hearty Spanish breakfast of Huevos Rancheros (the best eggs in Australia can be found at the market’s egg stall).